- Pattern: Dancing Devil aka Diable, aka Jester King
- Made in: Grafton, WV, USA
- Vintage: 1916 – 1952
- Details: A very unique set of coffee cups, the shape said to have been designed exclusively for drinking Cafe Brulot. Cafe Brulot Diabolique, or “Devilishly Burned Coffee,” was invented at Antoine’s Restaurant, New Orleans, in the late 1880s by Jules Alciatore, the son of the restaurant’s founder. There are conflicting stories that these cups were designed for use at Brennan’s Restaurant in New Orleans, but we’ve traced them to Antoine’s, Galatoire’s and Arnaud’s. These cups were also made in a red color, but based on some research it appears the red came much later. Both the cups and saucers have this devil or jester figure, and both the decal, as well as the style of the cup, look very Art Deco to us. They are both stamped on the bottom: “Loubat New Orleans, LA, Carr China”. Loubat refers to “Loubat Glassware & Cork Company” a restaurant distributor located in New Orleans, (see below for additional information on both Loubat and Carr). These cups are uniquely beautiful, they are a great piece of history, not only New Orleans history, but American Ceramics, as well as Food and Drink styles and tastes. Hard to find in this condition, very collectible, and makes a great gift for the right person.
- Materials: Ceramic
- Dimensions: Cups: 5.0 inches Tall, 2.0 inches in Diameter (top opening). Saucers: 4.75 inches in Diameter
- Condition: Vintage – Used. Excellent Condition. There are no scratches or crazing on any of these pieces. There is some coloration differences between the pieces but only on the bottom. Please review all pictures and make sure you love this item before purchasing, we can’t accept returns. Please remember these are VINTAGE and ANTIQUE items, they are NOT new. Every effort has been made to show any scratches, wear and imperfections.
- Shipping is included, (continental US only), unless otherwise noted. This item ships Priority Mail and Insured for your protection. AK, HI and International shoppers will see additional shipping based on your location.
Carr China Company was founded by Thomas Carr in 1916 in Grafton, West Virginia. Thomas Carr had been selected to manage a bankrupt pottery in Grafton, built in 1913, called “Consolidated Manufactories Company” but better known as “the pottery.” Carr took over the pottery and under his leadership grew it making vitrified china for hotels, restaurants, institutions, clubs, hospitals, steamships and the military. Thomas Carr retired in 1923 and Mr. Charles Metzner took over the leadership role. Through the years many managed this successful pottery and created hundreds of patterns like: “Onion,” “RhoDendra” and “Blue Willow”, among many others. There are conflicting stories as to what happened to Carr China, one story goes that in July 1952 the then owner, Wheeler Bachman shut down the company when he learned employees were considering unionizing. Another story says that many employees were already unionized, that competition from abroad, as well as the introduction of plastic wares, lead to the closing.
Loubat Glassware & Cork Company began business Jan. 1, 1875, in the New Orleans’ French Quarter. Throughout its 142-year history, the Loubat family maintained control and adapted to various name changes but never departed the family namesake “Loubat.” Examples of various names used were Loubat Hotel & Restaurant Supply Company, Loubat L. Frank, Loubat Equipment Company and the Loubat Division of Food Service Warehouse. In 2013 Loubat filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and the assets were purchased by “Food Service Warehouse” a Denver based food service and equipment company. However, by October 2016, “Food Service Warehouse” filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy and the Loubat name and assets have been purchased by Louisiana-based food service equipment dealer “Richard’s Restaurant Supply”.