- Pattern: Oriental Gardens
- Made in Japan
- Vintage: 1920’s – 1930’s
- Details: This is an absolutely beautiful example of polychrome transferware. This pattern is known by some as “Willow Brown Polychrome Transferware”, a variation on the popular Blue Willow. It is hand colored underglaze in translucent pink, green, yellow and blue. Made by Brown & Richie, (we have seen this company spelled as Brown and Ritchie, however, the backstamp that contains the company name spelled it Richie, without the T, so that’s the correct spelling). This is the larger coupe soup bowl, this set has another soup bowl, a bit smaller at 7.25 inches in Diameter, we were lucky enough to find this larger one as a set. We have acquired many pieces in this pattern, see additional listings for “Oriental Garden” if interested. There is a backstamp which reads: “Genuine Oriental Gardens, From Original Copper Engravings. Hand-Colored Under Glaze, Made in Japan for Brown & Richie LTD”. A lovely soup bowl, because of all the different colors, it can be mixed in with other china pieces. Ideal for a Blue Willow lover who’s looking to add a variation to their collection. Displays beautifully! We also carry the matching Serving Platter, Serving Bowl, Place Settings, a Tea Pot and other pieces. Please browse our site for Oriental Gardens if interested. Contact Us for reduced shipping if purchasing more than one listing of this Oriental Gardens pattern.
- Materials: Earthenware
- Dimension: 7.75 inches in Diameter, 1.5 inches Tall
- Condition: Vintage – Used. Very Good Vintage Condition. There is lots of crazing, which is typical in this type of early 20th century pottery glaze and being this old, we think it’s acceptable. Please review all pictures and make sure you love this item before purchasing, we can’t accept returns. Please remember these are VINTAGE and ANTIQUE items, they are NOT new. Every effort has been made to show any scratches, wear and imperfections.
- Shipping is included, (continental US only), unless otherwise noted. This item ships Priority Mail and Insured for your protection. AK, HI and International shoppers will see additional shipping fees based on your location.
Not much is written about Brown & Richie Ltd. They were a small pottery located in Staffordshire England that specialized in polychrome transferware. They created several series of historic and Oriental patterns. Staffordshire is a region that was, (and still is), home to many English porcelain makers so when you hear about Staffordshire Potteries, you know it is the industrial area encompassing the six towns, Burslem, Fenton, Hanley, Longton, Stoke and Tunstall, that now make up the city of Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire, England. The area is well known for “Blue Ware” a porcelain design that originated in Staffordshire.
Polychrome is the process of applying several colors by hand. Making multicolor (polychromatic) transferware was an expensive, time consuming combination of hand painting machined designs. The process was abandoned in the 1930s. Makers continued the popular scenic transfers in the more cost effective single color (monochromatic) process.