- Made in: Germany
- Vintage: 1920’s – 1940’s
- Details: This gorgeous compote is made of fine porcelain by Carl Thieme in Dresden, Germany. It has beautiful hand painted flowers that include pink and yellow roses, pink daisies, orange cosmos, orange, pink and yellow tulips. even a large purple thistle and many other little blue flowers all around. However, for us, the most gorgeous aspect is all the reticulated work on both the top and bottom of the piece all accented in hand painted gold. The bottom foot is stamped with the Carl Thieme Saxonian Porcelain Factory stamp and the word Dresden underneath to show it was decorated in Dresden, Germany. There is another stamp on the bottom of the dish, it is from “The Bailey Banks & Biddle Company Philadelphia”. Most likely these high-end Philadelphia jewelers sold this gorgeous piece to their clients. We have dated it based on who we purchased it from and the fact that it belonged to their grandparents. These compotes are wonderful pieces to use as candy dishes, to hold lemons, or little orange kumquats, to display a flameless candle, ornaments during the holidays, or of course, gorgeous on its own on a side table or entryway. We hope you enjoy it however you decide to use it.
- Material: Porcelain
- Dimensions: 5.0 inches Tall, 8.375 inches in Diameter (top) and 4.25 inches in Diameter (foot)
- Condition: Vintage – Used. Excellent Condition. There are no chips, scratches, or any other damage/wear marks on this piece, looks practically new, gold is intact. Please remember these are VINTAGE and ANTIQUE items, they are NOT new. Every effort has been made to show any scratches, wear and tear and imperfections. Refunds will not be given unless there’s gross misrepresentation of condition.
- Shipping is included on every order with some exceptions. See FAQ’s for exceptions.
Dresden, Germany, is similar to Limoges and Staffordshire in that it signifies where a piece was made, or in this case decorated, rather than who manufactured it. Dresden has been associated with porcelain decorations since the early 1700’s and continues today. In the early years, some porcelain was made in Dresden. But most porcelain marked “Dresden” was made by Meissen and other factories and decorated in Dresden. The mark on this piece, with script letters “S” and “P” intertwined, was used by Saxonian Porcelain Factory Carl Thieme beginning in 1901. The factory was in business near Dresden in Potschappel, Saxony, Germany, from 1872 to 1972. It became Saxonian Porcelain Manufactory Dresden in 1972 and is still in business.