- Pattern: Moon and Stars, #5231
- Vintage: 1960’s
- Details: This is a beautiful Amberina (red/orange/yellow) single pressed glass candle holder from L.E. Smith Glass Company. The piece features their very popular pattern called Moon and Stars. Many different companies produced this popular pattern including: US Glass, Imperial Glass, Kemple and others. We believe the original was Adams & Company and dates back to the 1880’s. The color is Amberina, which LE Smith may have called “Flame”, it is red and gradually lightens to yellow/orange. These are not only highly collectible Amberina glass pieces but they will brighten any area of the home you choose to display them in.
- Materials: Glass
- Dimensions: 4.5 inches Tall and 4.0 inches in Diameter (at its widest point)
- Condition: Vintage – Used. Good Condition. There is a tiny chip in one of the “teeth” on the collar, not noticeable so not able to capture well in photograph but we can feel it’s there. Otherwise, there are no scratches, chips, or cracks on the rests of the piece. Please review all pictures and make sure you love this item before purchasing, we can’t accept returns. Please remember these are VINTAGE and ANTIQUE items, they are NOT new, every effort has been made to show any scratches, wear and tear and imperfections.
- Shipping is included, (Continental US only), unless otherwise noted. AK, HI and International shoppers will see additional shipping based on your location.
Amberina was originally developed by New England Glass Company in 1883. It is a type of glass with gradient color that starts out red at the top of the piece and changes to amber at the bottom. Sometimes the colors are reversed, featuring the red at the bottom of an item; but that doesn’t happen too often. Variations in hue range from lighter shades that look almost pastel pink and yellow to rich, deep tones of ruby red and amber. A large number of different companies issued pieces in Amberina glass beginning in the late 1800’s and continuing into the early 20th century.
The L.E. Smith Glass Company has been in business for over 100 years. Originally founded in 1907 by Louis E. Smith and Charles Wible. They used Smith’s name because they thought it was easier to remember than “Wible.” In 1909, the L.E. Smith Glass Co., of Jeannette, PA, purchased the Mt. Pleasant, PA plant of the Anchor Glass Co. (in a bankruptcy sale), which then re-opened under Smith in January 1910. Mr. Smith didn’t stay with the company very long, he left the company in 1911, became a salesman for Westmoreland Glass, however, his name continued to be used. L.E. Smith began producing colored glass in the mid 1920’s, making pink, green, amber, yellow, amethyst and cobalt pieces as early as 1926. In the late 1920’s, Smith Glass devised a formula for black glass that set it apart from other manufacturers. The company expanded to make depression glass dinnerware, hurricane lamps, lamp shades, perfume bottles, cigarette lighters, etc. In the 1950’s, they expanded again into decorative glassware. In the 1960’s they experimented with iridescent glass and in January 1971 they went into production with Contemporary Carnival Glass Also in 1971, the company was purchased by Owens-Illinois, with Smith operating as a wholly owned subsidiary. L.E. Smith stopped production in June 2004 and was nearing liquidation when Scottish-born Pittsburgh businessman William Kelman purchased the company. But eventually Smith Glass was sold in bankruptcy in 2005.