Vintage Spiral Optic Opalescent Swirl, Sea Mist Cased Glass by Fenton, Rare
1 in stock
1 in stock
Fenton Art Glass Company was founded in 1905 by Frank L. Fenton and his brother John W. Fenton in an old glass factory building in Martins Ferry, Ohio. At first they did not make their own glass, they would paint decorations on glass blanks made by other glass manufacturers. In 1907 the operation moved to Williamstown, West Virginia, where Fenton started making their own glass. The first glass from the new Fenton factory in Williamstown, West Virginia, was made on January 2, 1907. In late 1907, Fenton introduced “Iridescent” glass, which we know today as “Carnival” glass, and still a very popular collectible. During the 1930’s and 1940’s, Fenton produced practical items, such as mixing bowls and tableware to get through the depression and WWII. In the late 1940’s, the top three members of the Fenton management team died. Two of the younger Fenton family members, Frank M Fenton and Bill C. Fenton stepped in to fill the void. They led the Fenton factory through significant American growth for the next 30 years. In 1986, the third generation of Fenton’s took over, George W. Fenton, Frank M’s son, became President. Unfortunately, in 2011 the company closed its glass making factory. Mosser Glass Company of Ohio purchased the Fenton molds. For more than 100 years, Fenton art glass was the largest manufacturer of handmade colored glass in the United States. Fenton glass works are renowned for innovative glass colors as well as hand-painted decorations on pressed and blown glassware. A Gift Shop is still open in Williamstown, WV where they sell both vintage Fenton glassware, as well as some of the new glass made by Mosser Glass in the old Fenton molds.
|Dimensions||14 × 10 × 10 in|