- Pattern: Feather “Arrow”
- Vintage: 1980’s (estimated)
- Details: A great find! This ceramic pie bird, or pie vent as they’re sometimes called, is a long time collectible, a cute kitchen decor and handy to have when baking time comes around. This bird is made of white ceramic, but it’s not bright white, slightly off-white to cream color. It has a wonderful “arrow” design on its chest and back, to simulate feathers. People love these birds and they make wonderful hostess gifts, maybe with a home-made pie or as stocking stuffers for the baker in your family.
- Material: Ceramic
- Dimensions: Approx. 4.0 inches Tall and 2.0 inches Wide
- Condition: Vintage – Used. Excellent Condition. Please review all pictures and make sure you love this item before purchasing, we can’t accept returns. Please remember these are VINTAGE and ANTIQUE items, they are NOT new, every effort has been made to show any scratches, wear and tear and imperfections.
- Shipping is included, (continental US only), unless otherwise stated. This item ships Priority Mail and Insured for your protection. AK, HI and International shoppers will see additional shipping based on your location.
Pie Birds (aka Pie Funnels or Pie Vents) have a long history, their first known use was in Europe in the 1700’s. In the USA, they caught on around the 1930’s, first made from clear glass and later pottery companies like McCoy and Shawnee were making other figures, designs and even different animals were made. Companies used them to advertise their baking products and you’ll still find some old ones with advertisement on them. They became very popular, many people have been collecting them ever since. By the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, China started to import mass produced pie birds, and eventually the originality was gone, people lost interest. Now we’ve seen a resurgence of interest in these ceramic little creatures and of course collectors never stopped loving them. They are used to release steam from fruit pies to keep them from overflowing while baking.