- Pattern: 01881 – Clown with Umbrella
- Made in Taiwan
- Vintage: 1980’s
- Details: An adorable collectible from Lefton. This little clown is hand painted to perfection. His clown make up is flawless, his pink pants, being held up by green suspenders, and a blue polka dot shirt topped with an orange bow tie, make this a very clownish outfit! He’s holding a red umbrella with a yellow patch, (the umbrella is attached with a metal rod). This is part of a series of clowns completed for Lefton in the 1980’s. There are several variations, one with a striped umbrella, one without a hat, another with a different outfit, and one with the same outfit but in different colors, all highly collectible. The bottom is stamped with: “Lefton China Hand Painted and a crown logo and the numbers 01881, the copyright logo, the year 1989 and the signature Geo. Z. Lefton.” This clown did have a piece of its original sticker which read: “Lefton Trade Mark Exclusives, Taiwan”. Unfortunately, it was destroyed when cleaning the piece. Lefton sold several other items such as: frames, ring holders, trinket boxes, small boxes, soap dishes, bud vases, and many other figurines which are highly collectible. If you’re collecting the clowns, we hope this piece adds to your collection. If you’re looking for a gift for a clown lover, we think this will be a much welcome gift. We have other Lefton items if you’re a fan, please feel free to browse the shop.
- Material: Bisque Porcelain
- Dimensions: 5.25 inches Tall. Approx 2.5 inches Wide, at its widest point.
- Condition: Vintage – Used. Excellent Condition. There are no chips, cracks, or scratches. Please remember these are VINTAGE and ANTIQUE items, they are NOT new. Every effort has been made to show any scratches, wear and tear and imperfections. Refunds will not be given unless there’s gross misrepresentation of condition.
- Shipping is included on every order with some exceptions. See FAQ’s for exceptions.
Lefton (actually called Geo. Zoltan Lefton Company) was started in Chicago in 1941 by George Lefton, an immigrant from Hungary who’s hobby was collecting fine porcelain. Mr. Lefton didn’t manufacture his wares, he was an importer of Japanese porcelain but had very high quality standards for his manufacturers and that’s why his items are still collected and highly regarded today. His reputation earned him the name of The China King. In the mid 1970’s he started importing items from other countries such as Taiwan, Malaysia and China. George Lefton died in 1996 and the company was sold in 2001 but the mark “Lefton” is still being used. Lefton marks include: stamps, labels, or numbers, unfortunately when it is a paper (foil) label, they are almost always missing by the time we find them. Lefton was sold to OMT Enterprises of Gardena, California, in 2005 and is now a division of that company.