- Pattern: Whooping Cranes
- Made in: Japan
- Vintage: 1960’s
- Details: An absolutely stunningly beautiful Japanese parasol!! It is made of oiled rice paper with hand painted whooping cranes, bamboo and a red sun. It is full of wonderful Japanese symbolism for example: the cranes symbolize good luck, longevity & fertility; the red sun is a sign of material and spiritual prosperity, of renewed life; and the bamboo is a sign of good luck. This umbrella is made with the traditional materials, rice paper, woven thread and bamboo, the wooden frame has between 30-40 ribs. This is due to the particular structure of these umbrellas, wherein thin bamboo ribs positioned closely together support and push the paper outwards to open. The handle is also bamboo and has a very pretty carved finial at the end. Overall a gorgeous parasol! Did you know in 1600’s Japan the parasol was a status symbol reserved for the elite and it was believed to ward off evil spirits? True! We were unable to find information on the manufacturer so we can’t tell you much beyond the description. Great as home and patio decor, for Bridal Showers, Outdoor parties. Perfect for Oriental / Asian decor lovers!
- Materials: Bamboo, Wood, Rice Paper
- Dimensions: Fully opened is approx. 30.0 inches in Diameter. Closed is 24.0 inches Long
- Condition: Vintage – Used. Very Good Condition. There are a few spots where the paper has torn, leaving very small holes. We believe this is acceptable due to the delicate nature of rice paper and the age/use/wear of this item, not very noticeable. The umbrella is a little bit hard to open, most likely because it’s not been used for a long time. Please review all pictures and make sure you love this item before purchasing, we can’t accept returns. Please remember these are VINTAGE and ANTIQUE items, they are NOT new, every effort has been made to show any scratches, wear and imperfections.
- Shipping is included, (continental US only), unless otherwise noted. AK, HI and International shoppers will see additional shipping based on your location.
Umbrella, Oriental Parasol, Hand Painted Cranes on Oiled Paper, Vintage
|Dimensions||25 × 8 × 4 in|