- Pattern: Paul and Virginia
- Vintage: 1971
- Details: This pitcher is not an original Paul and Virginia piece from the 1850’s, those are mostly in museums, this was hand painted from a mold in 1971. The mold however, is based on a very old pitcher from the United States Pottery Company (1852–58), pattern known as “Paul and Virginia”, the original pitchers all had a solid color background with lots of stippling and the relief details were all in white. Paul et Virginie (Paul and Virginia) is a romantic story written by Jacques-Henri Bernardin de St. Pierre in 1788, about two young people who grow up on a paradise island according to nature’s law, we won’t spoil it by telling you more. We have been unable to find who sold these molds, but they were certainly made much later, for the masses to paint using their own interpretation for the piece. The details on this pitcher are 3 dimensional and there’s a surprising amount of detail, really well done. This one is signed on the bottom by “D.J.S.” and dated 5-71, we’re guessing May of 1971. Really great conversation piece, a very pretty pitcher with a great story. Great Summer Tropical decor!
- Material: Ceramic
- Dimensions: 8.75 inches Tall (at its tallest point), 4.75 inches Wide (from handle to spout).
- Condition: Vintage – Used. Excellent Condition. We could not find any issues on this piece. Please review all pictures and make sure you love this item before purchasing, we can’t accept returns. Please remember these are ANTIQUE and VINTAGE items, they are NOT new, every effort has been made to show any scratches, wear and imperfections.
- Shipping is included, (Continental US only), unless otherwise noted. This item ships Priority Mail and Insured for your protection. AK, HI and International shoppers will see additional shipping based on your location.
Pitcher, Paul & Virginia Hand Painted Ceramic, Vintage
|Dimensions||12 × 12 × 10 in|