- Pattern: Winking Owl
- Made in Zanesville, OH, USA
- Vintage circa 1940’s
- Details: A great find! This highly collectible Shawnee Pottery Winking Owl Cookie Jar is one of those items you just don’t pass up, Shawnee Pottery has been steadily rising in price. This wise owl has been around a very long time and is in perfect condition. The colors are soft cream, gray, brown and peach. It is marked on the bottom: “USA” but it’s barely visible, we took a picture as best we could. It has a high shine glaze and it’s ready to decorate your kitchen, display case or child’s room. Great gift for a pottery collector or owl lover alike!
- Material: Ceramic
- Dimensions: 12.0 inches Tall and approx 7.25 inches Wide (widest point).
- Condition: Vintage – Used. Excellent Condition. There is a faint line at the border where the head meets the body but it doesn’t go through to the other side. We feels acceptable due to age/use. There are no chips, or crazing. PLEASE SEE PICTURES AS THAT IS ALSO PART OF OUR DESCRIPTION. Please remember these are VINTAGE and ANTIQUE items, they are NOT new. Every effort has been made to show any scratches, wear and tear and imperfections. Refunds will not be given unless there’s gross misrepresentation of condition.
- Shipping is included on every order with some exceptions. See FAQ’s for exceptions.
Shawnee Pottery was started in August of 1937 in the former American Encaustic facility in Zanesville, Ohio. At first they made decorative items like figurines, cookie jars, flower pots, novelty items and vases and sold them at very low prices at the “five and dime” stores. However, when Sears Roebuck and Company asked Shawnee Pottery to design a line of dinnerware known as Valencia, and a line of kitchenware exclusively for their stores, their brand grew and they became a very successful company. Unfortunately, we could find no information on why in 1961 they closed the business. Their wares remain highly collectible today. Interesting fact, Anthropologie has recently released this cookie jar shape calling it “A Real Hoot Canister”, you can rest assured the one we’re offering here is the true original from 1940.