- Pattern: Stephen Foster Melodies - Swanee River ("Old Folks at Home")
- Vintage circa 1950's
- Made by Unknown (not branded)
- Details: A very retro looking glass. This very narrow glass shape, not frequently seen today, was primarily used to serve a cocktail called a Tom Collins. The black and white illustration depicts a person fishing on a boat on what I'm guessing is the Swanee River, with foliage all around. The scene is typically southern, there is moss hanging from the trees, most likely because the Swanee River runs through Florida. There are musical notes on the top border and the beginning lyrics to that famous song, "Old Folks at Home" (which everyone knows best as "Swanee River"). On the bottom edge of the glass there is script writing that reads: "Stephen Foster Melodies". This is part of a collection of Stephen Foster Melody glasses that include songs like: "Oh Susanna", "My Old Kentucky Home" and others. Stephen Foster lived from 1826 - 1864, he wrote over 200 songs in his lifetime and was known as "The Father of American Music" and was also named "The most famous songwriter of the 19th century". The song depicted on this glass, "Swanee River" was written in 1851 and remains popular even today, 167 years after he wrote it. A true collector's item. You may purchase a single glass, or a set of 4 at a 20% discount. Please use the Contact Us form before purchasing for discount.
- Material: Glass
- Dimension: 6.5 inches Tall and 2.5 inches in Diameter. Holds 12 oz.
- Condition: Vintage - Used. Excellent Condition. There are no chips, cracks or scratches on this item. Please remember these are VINTAGE and ANTIQUE items, they are NOT new. Every effort has been made to show any scratches, wear and tear and imperfections. Refunds will not be given unless there’s gross misrepresentation of condition.
- Shipping is included on every order with some exceptions. See FAQ's for exceptions.
The Swanee River runs from Okefenokee in southern Georgia through Florida into the Gulf of Mexico. In 1935 the song, Old Folks at Home (Swanee River) became the official song of Florida.